Development of a Paint Finishing System for the Automotive Industry
An Automotive Tier 1 supplier was awarded additional work which facilitated the requirement to install a large new paint finishing system which would be capable of painting and curing plastic interior automotive parts.
FTS engineers worked closely with the customer for several months to identify system performance, preferences, requirements and expectations. The scope of this project included the design, installation, and launch of a stand-alone, enclosed interior automotive paint line capable of high throughput and First Time Quality. This new system would need to apply prime, base coat and clear coat paint to various automotive parts. Our spray booth, oven and conveyor engineers also played a large role in developing the most efficient and cost effective system capable of producing the results the customer was looking for.
FTS provided the turnkey finishing system which consisted of the following:
- One 20' wide dry filter re-circulating spray booth for prime application
- Two 30' wide dry filters re-circulating spray booths for base and clear applications
- Gas fired oven with inside dimensions of 23' W x 9'H x 58' Long
- 800' floor mounted conveyor with VFD
- Air makeup unit with evaporative cooler
- Enclosed part prep area with DI equipment
- Flash tunnels and vestibules
- System control panel capable of running and monitoring all motors, fans, lighting, conveyor speed, oven temperature, LFL monitors, e-stops and AMU functions
In addition to the above noted items, we also provided the required paint circulation equipment, robotic spray guns, air and fluid filtration, regulators, and accessories required. The entire project, including all consultation, design, assembly, and installation, was completed for this Western Michigan customer in just 16 weeks. This advanced system represents a state of the art coating solution, typical of the higher end of work that we provide. To learn more about this project or the processes used to complete it, contact Fluid Transfer Systems directly.
Paint Finishing System - Project Highlights
- Product Description
- An Automotive Tier 1 supplier was awarded additional work which facilitated the requirement to install a large new paint finishing system capable of painting and curing plastic interior automotive parts.
- System Design Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Capability Studies
- Product Design/Development
- Material/Equipment Sourcing
- Paint Delivery Requirements
- Apply prime, base coat and clear coat paint to various automotive parts.
- Overall Part Dimensions
- System Footprint was 60' Wide x 120' Long
- Major Components
- One (1) 20' wide dry filter recirculating spray booth for prime application.
- Two (2) 30' wide dry filters recirculating spray booths for base and clear applications.
- Gas fired oven with inside dimensions of 23' W x 9'H x 58' Long.
- 800' floor mounted conveyor with VFD.
- Air Makeup Unit with Evaporative Cooler.
- Enclosed part prep area with DI equipment.
- Flash tunnels and vestibules.
- System Control Panel capable of running and monitoring all motors, fans, lighting, conveyor speed, oven temperature, LFL monitors, e-stops and AMU functions.
- Material Used in Construction
- Powder Coated Steel Panel Construction
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Functionality Testing
- Industry for Use
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 16 weeks
- Delivery Location
- West Michigan
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications
- Product Name
- Turnkey Paint Finishing System