Design & Build Code Compliant Paint Kitchen for the Agricultural Component Industry
A Tier 1 manufacturer wanted to diversify and begin manufacturing products for the consumer markets. This required the installation of a new finishing line to spray in-mold coatings.
This project required the design and construction of a paint circulation system that would be capable of supplying material from 55-gallon drums to a robotic application cell. The paint equipment and drums of paint needed to be placed into a code compliant enclosure that included spill containment, air ventilation, and fire suppression system. We worked closely with the customer, paint supplier, robot manufacturer, and city officials to assure that all details were covered and expectations were met.
FTS delivered and installed a portable mix kitchen complete with ventilation system, sump containment, and a dry chemical fire suppression system. Within the paint kitchen we installed components that would allow for six 55-gallon drums of different color resins, and one 55 gallon drum of solvent. Stainless steel circulation lines were plumbed from the paint kitchen to the spray cell with all necessary ball valves, fluid regulators, spray guns and hoses also included. A load cell liquid level monitoring systems was installed to provide visual information as to drum capacity as well as audible alarms for low levels. All of the systems were pressure tested with air, then flushed with a compatible purge agent and finally filled with paint. The system was designed, built, and verified to meet all applicable OSHA and NFPA requirements.
The project which included six paint circulation systems, one mold release and one solvent purge system, was designed, built, and installed in 12 weeks. For more information, see the table below or contact us directly.
Code Compliant Paint Kitchen - Project Highlights
- Product Description
- End user is Tier 1 manufacturer that wanted to diversify and begin manufacturing products for the consumer market as well. This required the installation of a new finishing line to spray in-mold coatings.
- Design & Build Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Product Design/Development
- Material/Equipment Sourcing
Assembly - Peripheral Equipment and Components
Delivery and Installation
- Paint Delivery/Monitoring
- Load cell liquid level monitoring systems were installed to provide visual information as to drum capacity as well as audible alarms if getting low.
- Overall Part Dimensions
- Inside Dimensions: 22' Length x 8' Depth x 8'3" Height
- Paint Components
- Number of Colors
(4) 55 gallon drums of resins and (1) Catalyst
- Number of Solvents
(1) 55 gallon drum of solvent
- Number of Colors
- System Components
(2) Sets of double doors with ramps for easy entry and exit.
For worker safety and fume evacuation.
(2) Explosion proof lights provided.
- Grounding System
Static electricity bonding system with grounding lugs.
Sprinkler heads with exterior connection adapter in accordance with NFPA-30.
Nema enclosure for lights, motor starter, fan and fire suppression interlock switch.
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Systems were pressure tested with air, flushed with compatible purge agent and finally filled with paint. Worked with local code officials to make sure systems were code compliant.
- Industry for Use
- Six (6) paint circulation systems, one (1) mold release and one (1) solvent purge system.
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 12 weeks
- Delivery Location
- Metro Detroit, Michigan
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications
OSHA, NFPA-30 and International Fire Code
- Product Name
- Global Finishing Solutions Paint Mix Kitchen